The Wright Company Factory
Please see below for information about monthly tours and social media tips.
The Wright Company factory is closed to the public now except for special tours once a month. But work is underway toward the goal of opening it to visitors as a unit of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
The factory is located on the former Delphi Home Avenue plant in Dayton, Ohio. The Wright Company factory was the first in America built for the purpose of manufacturing airplanes. Once restored and open to the public, the factory will complete the story of the Wright brothers’ invention, development and commercialization of the airplane in Dayton.
Wilbur Wright (1867-1912) and his brother Orville (1871-1948) built their first experimental airplanes in the back of their bicycle shop at 1127 W. Third St. They incorporated the Wright Company in November 1909. The company operated temporarily in rented space until Building 1 was completed in 1910. Building 2 was erected in 1911.
The Wright Company produced 13 different models of airplanes, and it introduced industrial aviation to several individuals who later became prominent in aviation manufacturing. Among them were Frank H. Russell (1878–1947) and Grover C. Loening (1888–1976). Altogether, the factory turned out approximately 120 aircraft between 1910 and 1915, when Orville sold his interest in the company following Wilbur’s death in 1912.
The Wright Company buildings changed hands several times. The Dayton-Wright Airplane Company bought the buildings during World War I and named them Plant 3. It used them to make fittings for military aircraft Dayton-Wright produced at its main plant in Moraine.
General Motors acquired Dayton-Wright in September of 1919, but GM didn’t stay in the airplane business. In 1922, GM began to sell a steering wheel invented by Dayton-Wright engineer Harvey D. Geyer, a former Wright Company employee. Geyer’s steering wheel used a new manufacturing process to produce a superior wheel. The product was so successful that GM formed a new division around it—the Inland Manufacturing Division. The division started in the original Wright Company buildings but quickly expanded.
As the plant grew, Inland add buildings and enclosed the spaces between Buildings 1, 2 and three newer buildings built in matching architectural style. The factory expanded over the decades as thousands of workers turned out auto parts, first as Inland, later as Delco and finally as Delphi. (During World War II, they produced M-1 carbines, tank treads and other war materiel.)
The Delphi Home Avenue Plant grew to cover 54 acres with some 1.2 million square feet of manufacturing and office space in 20 buildings. Delphi’s bankruptcy led to the plant’s closure in 2008. As a part of the bankruptcy process Delphi formed DPH Holdings, LLC, charged with disposal of excess Delphi properties.
In 2009, Congress passed a law adding the 20-acre parcel that includes the original Wright Company buildings to the boundary of the National Park Service’s Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park. Hull & Associates, Inc., an Ohio-based brownfields redevelopment company, worked together closely to clean up the site.
Hull created a special purpose entity—Home Avenue Redevelopment, LLC—to acquire the property from DPH and successfully pursue a $3 million Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund grant to help fund the cleanup, along with additional funds from DPH and Home Avenue Redevelopment. Demolition and remediation work began in early 2013 and was complete in October 2014. As demolition crews took down surrounding buildings in the spring and summer of 2014, the original Wright factory buildings came into public view for the first time in decades.
The national park plans to restore the Wright Company buildings and use them to help tell the story of the Wright brothers. The Fiscal Year 2017 budget submitted to Congress included $450,000 for the National Park Service to acquire the two Wright buildings. NAHA is working to raise additional funds to buy the remainder of the site so it can be redeveloped with complementary uses, such as aviation education and training, aerospace research and advanced manufacturing.
While the factory is closed to the public, you can get a sneak peek. NAHA offers free tours of the factory buildings with the permission of the property owner, Home Avenue Redevelopment. The next tour is scheduled for Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 10 a.m.
The factory entrance is off West Third Street just east of Abbey Avenue. The gate has no specific address, but GPS users can find it by navigating to 2940 W. Third St., Dayton OH 45417.
We encourage visitors to post photos and videos to their social media. Please include the hashtag #wrightfactory . Also, you may use the short url http://bit.ly/WrightCo to link to this page.
Please contact us if you have questions.
See our news releases for the latest updates.
Updated 19 May 2016