For immediate release
July 18, 2016
Timothy R. Gaffney
Director of Communications
(937) 219-8277 (mobile)
EDITORS: Photos of the Wright Company Factory Site are available upon request. In social media posts, please use the hashtag #wrightfactory for the Wright Company factory site.
DAYTON—The next Wright factory tour is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Thursday, July 21, 2016. The tour will be the first since the June 20 announcement that the Dayton Metro Library has chosen the Wright Company factory site for its new West Branch. The unrestored factory was the first in America built for airplane manufacturing.
The Wright factory tour is free and open to the public. No registration is necessary, but NAHA encourages Facebook users to respond on the factory tour’s event page. The tour takes about an hour, but visitors can leave whenever necessary.
The factory entrance is off West Third Street just east of Abbey Avenue. The gate has no specific address, but GPS users can find it by navigating to 2807 W. Third St., Dayton OH 45417. Tour participants must sign a hold-harmless agreement before entering, and closed-toe shoes are required. No restroom facilities are available.
Wilbur and Orville Wright formed the Wright Company in 1909 and built their first factory building in 1910. They added a second building in 1911. The buildings later became part of the 54-acre Delphi Home Avenue auto parts plant. It closed in 2008 and is now owned by Home Avenue Redevelopment LLC, a redevelopment company.
With the owner’s permission, NAHA opens the site once each month for a free public tour to educate the public about the site’s history and plans for its redevelopment.
NAHA is working with Home Avenue Redevelopment and others to acquire the site with the help of public and private funding. Dayton Metro Library has agreed to buy approximately seven acres for its West Branch campus. The National Park Service has requested $450,000 to buy the two factory buildings, as authorized by Congress in 2009.
NAHA’s vision is for the factory to be restored as the Wright Factory Unit of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park and the remainder of the site redeveloped with aviation-related activities that complement the national park unit and library.